Press "Enter" to skip to content

Chicago Fire soccer training facility advances after 2nd vote


Less than 24 hours after rejecting a plan to install a training facility for the Chicago Fire soccer team on Chicago Housing Authority land, a City Council Committee has reversed its vote and advanced the proposal.

The Zoning committee had voted 7-5 Tuesday to turn down a revised proposal for the pending development on the Near West Side. But in a surprise move, chair Ald. Tom Tunney, 44th, decided to reconvene the panel Wednesday morning to hold a second vote.

With more aldermen present Wednesday, the measure this time passed 10-5, meaning it will be sent to the full City Council later Wednesday.

The proposed 24-acre, $80 million complex would include two hybrid grass pitches and a goalkeeper pitch; an underground heating system; a sand pit; three synthetic turf pitches, one with an inflatable dome for use six months of the year; a two to three story office building, an auxiliary structure for maintenance and storage and a parking structure for 147 vehicles.

But the plan has run into criticism because it would be built on vacant land — bounded by Roosevelt Road, 14th Street, Ashland Avenue and Loomis Street — that’s owned by the Chicago Housing Authority, where the former ALBA Homes housing complex once stood.

Some advocates for public housing, represented by the Chicago Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights, wrote a letter of opposition saying: “In this proposal, land that is promised for desperately needed affordable housing to predominantly serve the needs of Black families will be given to a billionaire with negligible benefits for the thousands of families of color seeking to live in Chicago’s opportunity areas.”

On Tuesday, it appeared those cries were heard by a bloc of progressive aldermen who helped scuttle the plan’s advancement. Ald. Maria Hadden, 49th, said the CHA was not fulfilling its promise to add more affordable housing.

“We had news earlier this year of a colleague of ours, right, who had been on the CHA waitlist for 30 years and finally got a call,” she said, referencing 20th Ward Ald. Jeanette Taylor. “I have a lot of residents in my 75%-renter ward here in the 49th who are on (the) CHA waitlist. We’re dealing with record levels of people experiencing homelessness. It’s just crashing around us. So it’s concerning to me to see such sluggishness.”

Ann McKenzie, a CHA official, said there would be no loss of affordable rental housing from this project so “our commitment remains the same.”

“Housing is what we do,” McKenzie said in response to Hadden. “We actually welcome this as an opportunity to build community and have worked incredibly hard with the Fire to make this something that would push housing. … We actually are embracing this as a solution.”

The city has a larger plan to redevelop land around the former ABLA Homes into a mixed-use residential and commercial area known as Roosevelt Square. The city would not have to pay anything to the Fire should its deal with the CHA come to fruition, but the soccer team would pay out a 40-year lease with two potential 10-year renewals. The rent will depend on the latest appraised values.

However, some aldermen were concerned the plan does not yet have signoff from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, which is usually required when using public housing agency-owned land for other purposes. Thus, even if the project is approved, the federal government could kill it.

Others noted there was no letter of support from the Local Advisory Council or Community Advisory Council, though McKenzie countered that “The Local Advisory Council has been consulted from the beginning of this. We’ve been talking to them about this from February on about this.”

Afternoon Briefing

Afternoon Briefing

Daily

Chicago Tribune editors’ top story picks, delivered to your inbox each afternoon.

Ald. Jason Ervin, 28th, who presides over most of the area in question, supported the plan as one he hopes will “catalyze development.”

“Concerns that have been raised, I believe, are valid given the state of where things are with CHA and what has transpired over the last almost 20 years into this plan for transformation,” Ervin said. “… I’m glad that the Chicago Fire did step up (with) … helping CHA to deliver on a long-term promise that in many people’s opinion had been broken to the residents of the ABLA community.”

The proposal also garnered letters of support from the Local Advisory Council and Community Advisory Council in the past day. Three aldermen who voted no on Tuesday — Felix Cardona, 31st; David Moore, 17th; and Michael Rodriguez, 22nd — flipped to a yes vote on Wednesday.

One opposing alderman, Anthony Beale, 9th, complained that he had “never seen a roll call vote that was taken in committee and was voted down, and then because we don’t like the outcome of the vote, we reconvene to have another vote the very next day.”

A city attorney countered that Wednesday’s meeting was simply a “continuation” of the previous day’s and the motion to reconsider the vote was proper.

The Fire, under owner and Chairman Joe Mansueto, have been actively searching for a new practice space since agreeing in 2019 to pay Bridgeview $65.5 million to amend their lease at SeatGeek Stadium, where the team still trains. Should the Near West Side facility come to fruition, Chicago Fire games would not change location from Soldier Field.

ayin@chicagotribune.com



Source link

Mission News Theme by Compete Themes.