Press "Enter" to skip to content

2 people taken to hospital after chemcial leak in Pawtucket

Hazmat crews on Mineral Spring Avenue in Pawtucket, Friday, Sept. 23, 2022. (WLNE)

PAWTUCKET, R.I. (WLNE) — Two people were taken to the hospital after a chemical leak in Pawtucket early Friday morning.

Hazmat teams arrived just before 7:30 a.m. to the scene on Mineral Spring Avenue.

Pawtucket Fire Chief William Conroy said when crews arrived, they had an overwhelming smell of what they believed was bleach.

“We immediately realized that there was chlorine gas that had filled the building,” said Murray.

The two people were taken to the Rhode Island Hospital because of a chemical reaction to the chlorine in the building, according to officials.

“We can’t breathe, we can’t see,” said David Hudson, a resident of the building.

Another resident told ABC 6 News that he woke up to his eyes burning and the smell of chemicals.

At this time, crews are still working to locate the source of the spill, said Murray.

Source link

Mission News Theme by Compete Themes.